The Second part of this guide describes how to update the Popo Theme. When first installing Popo Theme, make sure that you don’t make any changes in the files. If you have, and you don’t want to lose them, the best way save them is to use a freeware tool for comparing files, WinMerge Compare for example (How to use it can be found on their website). After comparing files, you can then upload only those files that haven’t been changed.
- Log into your hosting account via your FTP software client (FileZilla, WinSCP, Transmit or your preferred FTP client).
- Unzip the dev.zip theme file. Use only the extracted dev theme folder.
- Upload the extracted dev theme folder into wp-content > themes folder and wait for the upload.
- Activate the newly installed theme by navigating to Appearance > Themes and clicking the Activate button.
- Once you activate the Dev theme, you will see a notification message to install and activate the required & recommended plugins.
- Install the following required plugins: WPBakery Page Builder, Slider Revolution, Contact Form 7 and Custom Sidebar. The WooCommerce plugin is recommended only if you are planning on building a website with eCommerce capabilities.
- Once you have installed the required plugins, proceed with the Demo Contents import.
If you haven’t changed any theme files, all you need to do to update your current version is to download the latest package from ThemeForest, unpack the files, and upload the new files on the server while replacing the old files by overwriting them.
All your data is safe because theme file updates do not change anything in the database. It is still recommended to always make a backup of your files & database.